Posted on November 11, 2019
It is the age old saying, “you are what you eat”. The question everyone is asking is, “What should I be eating?” Although we hear about exciting fad diets that offer rapid weight loss, the best way to achieve and/or maintain a healthy weight is to eat a healthy balanced diet, coupled with daily exercise. Plant-based options have grown in popularity due to their wonderful nutritional content and the impact that reducing meat has on the environment. Plant-based meals include proteins such as nuts and legumes. Eating more plant-based foods can lead to an overall healthier lifestyle. Additional benefits of plant-based eating include:
- A reduced risk of heart disease, obesity, diabetes and more.
- Reducing your environmental footprint and the production of greenhouse gases.
- A healthier heart.
- Healthier looking skin and an improved gut health.
While the USDA recommends a well-balanced diet consisting of all 5 food groups, incorporating more plant-based eating may bring additional benefits to your health. Here are a few tips to help you incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet:
- Try fruit and vegetable smoothies.
- Replace processed snacks with fun fruit and vegetable options.
- Switch out your refined grains for whole grains.
- Stay away from processed, artificial foods.