5 Tips for a Healthy Summer
Posted on July 3, 2019
Summer fun doesn't mean you have to abandon healthy habits. Check out some tips on how to enjoy the heat while watching what you eat!
- Visit Your Local Farmer’s Market. Foods picked locally are at the height of their nutritional value because they have a shorter time between harvest and getting to your table. In order to get the best flavor from fruits and vegetables, they should be purchased when they are in-season and available from your local farms. In addition to eating great tasting produce, the money that is spent with local farmers and growers all stays close to home and is reinvested back into your community.
- Eat Lighter Meals More Often. Most people tend to be much more active during summertime. To give you all-day energy, try eating smaller and lighter meals that are spread throughout the day. Eating smaller portions more often will keep your glucose and insulin levels stable and give you a steadier energy level to keep you going all day long.
- Pack Snacks. When you have a busy day planned with the family, make sure to pack a little cooler with some healthy snacks in case you get hungry in between meals. Some ideas to try are bananas or apple slices with nut butter for dipping, veggie sticks with hummus or edamame beans.
- Stay Hydrated. Don’t let the heat get you down. Dehydration can be a serious condition that can lead to problems ranging from headache to heat stroke, so it’s important to make plans to keep the entire family hydrated, especially in the summertime. Try bringing a reusable water bottle for each family member wherever you go to keep up on your water consumption. Foods with a high moisture content, such as oranges, melons, cucumbers, tomatoes and watermelon, are good also for quenching thirst.
- Make Time To Play! When you’re finished with the BBQ, go and play! Start tossing a ball with the kids, or gather the adults to play badminton, horseshoes or some other activity. Participating in some fun outdoor games may keep you away from the chips and dip and can be a good time for both kids and adults!
Enjoy the summer!