Chef’s Corner: Late Summer Super Green Smoothie
Posted on September 11, 2023
As we begin to leave summer (and all those wonderfully filling barbecues and parties) behind, the end of the season is a perfect time to add a little health boost to our diet. With just the right amount of sweetness, this nutrient-packed smoothie will deliver the taste, energy, and freshness you need to get your day started strong—or perfect as a quick pick-me-up snack during the day.
About Chef Peter
Over the past 25 years, I have had the pleasure to work in all facets of the restaurant and hospitality industry. After graduating from the Culinary Institute of America in 2000, I followed my dream of becoming a restaurant chef in Manhattan. Upon graduation from culinary school, I worked in as many high-end restaurants and hotels as I could, learning the craft and honing my skills. I eventually found the niche for recipe development and food manufacturing, where I have been fortunate enough to head up the R&D department at Whitsons for the better part of the last decade.
Late Summer Super Green Smoothie
- 1 green apple, cored and diced (skin on)
- 1 green pear, cored and diced (skin on)
- 1 banana, chopped and frozen
- A few large leaves of kale, ribs removed and roughly chopped
- 2 Medjool dates (pitted)
- 1 cup unsweetened oat milk
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Handful of ice
1. Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
2. Check the sweetness and add a drop more maple syrup if you prefer. You can also add some additional oat milk if you prefer a thinner smoothie.
Contributed by Peter Johnson, Director of Culinary, Islandia, NY