Sweet Potato Gratin
Posted on November 7, 2023
Holidays are known for their traditions, and passed down recipes are part of what brings families and friends together year after year. But, who doesn’t love a tasty twist on a Thanksgiving classic? Impress your guests or hosts with a delicious variation of the traditional sweet potato casserole with this sure-to-please recipe.
About Chef Robert
Robert Sawyer joined the Whitsons team last year as an R&D Chef in our prepared meals facility in Islandia, NY. Robert got his start in the culinary and hospitality early on at the age of 13 working in restaurants during the summers. With a passion for cooking he pursued a Hospitality Management Degree at SUNY Delhi, in upstate New York. While attending SUNY Delhi he was a member of the National Champion Student ACF competition team. Robert’s career has taken him in many directions after graduating, starting in restaurants, country clubs, professional sports, and leading him to his current environment of research and development for the past 5 years.
Sweet Potato Gratin
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Cooking spray (as needed)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 5 graham crackers
- 1 cup candied pecans, coarsely chopped
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray baking dish.
2. Slice the sweet potatoes and add to large mixing bowl. Add the cream, milk, and salt to the sweet potatoes and mix together.
3. In the backing dish, arrange the potatoes in an even layer. Repeat with the remaining potatoes to form layers. Once all layers are in baking dish, pour the remaining cream and milk over the sweet potatoes. Press down on the layers to totally submerge the sweet potatoes in the cream mixture and top with Graham Cracker & Pecan Crunch. (p)4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil cover and top with marshmallows, continue baking until the cream has been absorbed, the potatoes are cooked through, and the top is browned, 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Graham Cracker & Pecan Crunch
1. Place graham crackers in a resealable plastic bag. Coarsely crush with your hands into 1/2”–1” pieces. Transfer graham crackers to a medium bowl. Add pecans and 1/4 tsp. salt. Mix in 4 Tbsp. butter to combine.
Contributed by Robert Sawyer, R&D Chef, Islandia, NY